Playlist for the bestselling UNEXPECTEDLY HIS
I am a proud owner of a first-generation iPod, the original, clunky white one with the scroll wheel. Yeah, that’s me. My husband surprised me with it one afternoon years ago, and I still consider it one of the sweetest, most romantic gifts I’ve ever received. The music of my life is in there. My parents’ anniversary party playlist, one for my newborn baby, there’s even a list for a cross-country road trip.
Music stirs so much emotion in me. These are the songs I listened to while writing UH. Pulling together a playlist to finish up Smart Cupid’s third book about Jane and Nick’s brother, Jake…suggestions for good music are always welcome! Tweet me with your thoughts @kelley_maggie
In the meantime, give these great tunes a listen.
Happy Birthday –Marilyn Monroe. Okay, this one is easy peasy. For me, Marilyn—sweet, vulnerable, insecure, sexy, maybe even a little sad—captured Marianne perfectly. Once I latched onto that idea, I ran with it.
Iggy Azalea – Trouble featuring Jennifer Hudson. Yes, I saw this for the first time on American Idol (I’m sorry, but yes, I watched it) and the song absolutely encapsulated how MA felt about Nick. Sure, he’s trouble—arrogant, presumptuous trouble—but red flags can be a good sign, right?
Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk and Runaway Baby. Totally Nick as a player, and I am in love with Bruno Mars. Crazy, crazy talented.
Mr. Wrong – Cracker. A great band and the lyric, “Baby, come and spend some time with Mr. Wrong” spoke to me. For Marianne, Nick Wright was totally wrong. Except that he was totally right. 😉
All Shook Up and A Little Less Conversation- Elvis. A Little Less Conversation is used in the casino scene and it fits so perfectly that I laughed aloud every time I read it…a girl’s gotta get her kicks somewhere, right?
Classic – MKTO. I heard this song on the radio during a road trip. It was the first song on the playlist and absolutely how I think Nick sees MA. She’s a classic. In the book he describes her as a girl who didn’t need to “dream of something better. This girl was better.” As soon I heard this song, I knew that’s how Nick felt about her.
True Colors – the Phil Collins version. MA needs to embrace her true colors and no song offers that message as eloquently as this Cyndi Lauper tune—especially when Phil Collins sings it.
That’s the Way Love Goes – Janet Jackson. Sexxaayy
Let Love Rule – Lenny Kravitz. This is what MA learns to do, and yes, Kravitz.
Ain’t No Sunshine – Bill Withers & Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Eva Cassidy. Both these songs bring to mind Nick’s feeling about his home without MA. And there were many references to the ruby shoes and home and dreams…and oh, Eva Cassidy had so much emotion in her voice. Beautiful.
Ed Sheeran’s X Album. Because he is Ed Sheeran, all modern romance in a red-headed package. His video for Thinking Out Loud? Swoon. Town.
Thanks to the awesome Heather Howland for an awesome cover. Pretty exciting to see it…love the hearts on the skirt…and it’s appropriately sexy…cause, you know, there may be one or two lovin’ take-downs in this book.
Hope you love the cover as much as I do. LMK what you think. MK.
Check out the Pinterest board of my Breaking the Bachelor inspirations and let me know what you think!
1. Need You Now by Lady Antebellum
2. Come Running because no list is complete without Van Morrison
3. The Story of My Life (I know, I’m sorry…but it totally worked) by One Direction
4. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
5. Silver by Echo and the Bunnymen
6. To Turn You On from the Roxy Music album, Avalon, sexiest album ever. Play it, you’ll thank me.
7. Mr. Cab Driver by Lenny Kravitz (because Lenny Kravitz is always an inspiration!)
8. My old school choice…Janet Jackson’s Again
9 All of Me by John Legend
10. It’s A Great Big World’s Say Something
11. Lake Street Dive’s My Heart’s in the Right Place
12. And…Come Again, Faults and All and Tenderness, all from General Public’s album, Hand to Mouth. For me, these three songs captured the playful, sexy, combative and oddly tender nature of the relationship between Jane and Charlie….and IMHO, GP knows how to rock out and have some fun.